These smoked salmon deviled eggs are absolutely fancy and elegant, yet super delicious. They are made with hard-boiled eggs stuffed with a mixture of egg yolk, mustard and mayonnaise and topped with smoked salmon. The best appetizers for any special occasion!
Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
Friends, look how elegant these appetizers are; they look fancy to me!
I made these smoked salmon deviled eggs to serve in a family gathering celebration for Easter, and guess what? Everyone in my family LOVES them, even my children! Let me tell you how I made them.
The first thing you need to know about this recipe is that you need to use hard-boiled eggs to make these appetisers.
The filling is so easy to make, yet it is so delicious; I mixed the egg yolks with Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, paprika and a little bit of salt and black pepper! So simple, right? The mayonnaise gives the filling a creamy and rich texture, while Dijon mustard gives it a hint of spiciness.
Now, the final part is stuffing the eggs; because I have made this recipe so many times, I just scoop a tablespoon of the filling into the eggs.
However, if this is your first time making deviled eggs, I suggest putting the filling mixture in a pastry bag and piping it into each egg to avoid making a mess.
What You’ll Need
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
- Boiled eggs: You can't use soft-boiled eggs in making this recipe, I use 6 hard-boiled eggs, which yields 12 deviled eggs.
- Mayonnaise: I use ¼ cup of original mayonnaise; you may use light mayonnaise If you want, or you can replace it with cream cheese.
- Salt & Ground black pepper: To taste.
- Smoked salmon: I used cold-smoked salmon.
- Paprika: It adds a great flavor.
- Dijon mustard: It adds a sharp, spicy flavor which goes so well with the eggs and salmon in this recipe.
- Parsley: For added color, you can replace with fresh chives.
How To Make Hard Boiled Eggs
This is very easy. Just put the eggs in a saucepan and cover them with water. Then, put the saucepan on the stove over high heat and bring to a boil; keep boiling them for at least 14 minutes to get a perfectly hard-boiled egg.
After boiling the eggs, transfer them to cold water. That will make peeling the eggs much easier.
How To Make Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs?
First Step - Prepare the eggs
Boil the eggs for 14 minutes, then transfer them to cool water. Let them sit for 10 minutes, then peel them. Cut the boiled eggs into halves (lengthwise), then take the yolks out and put them in a mixing bowl.
Second Step - Prepare the filling
Mash all the egg yolks with a fork, add mayonnaise, salt, pepper, and dijon mustard. Mix well until a creamy mixture forms.
Third Step - Assemble the egg appetizers
Now, arrange the egg whites in the serving plate then stuff each one with a tablespoon of the egg yolk mixture. After that, top them with a sprinkle of paprika and a piece of smoked salmon. Then a final touch: add parsley on top of each appetizer.
Pro Tip: To help the egg whites stay on the plate, cut a very thin slice of each egg white's bottom before stuffing them.
Alternatives & Variations
- Crunchiness: To add some crunchiness, I recommend mixing in some chopped green onion, red onion or celery.
- Herbs: You can add extra flavors by adding some fresh herbs: dill, chives, or parsley.
- Spicy: If you like it a bit spicy, add 1 tablespoon of hot sauce to the filling mixture or ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
- Avocado: You can also add mashed avocado to the yolk mixture.
- Pickles: Add tiny slices of pickles on top.
- Cheese: Adding any soft crumbling cheese as feta works very well.
- Seasonings: sprinkle on top bagel seasoning, Mediterranean Spice Mix or Salad Seasoning Mix.
How To Serve
Make Ahead And Store Leftovers
Make ahead of time: One of the most amazing things about these easy appetizers is that you can make them 2-3 days in advance. Just keep them in the fridge.
Store: Keep them in a sealed container in the fridge until you need them. Beware that you can't leave them at room temperature for a long time.
Why Are They Called Deviled Eggs?
I think it is a historic depiction that usually refers to spicy food, and since devil eggs used to be spicy, they called it that name.
More Appetizer Recipes
- Spanakopita - spinach pie
- Easy party appetizers
- Spicy roasted cauliflower
- Mashed potato pancakes
- Smoked Salmon Scrambled Eggs
Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
- Boil the eggs for 14 minutes, then transfer them to cool water. Let them sit for 10 minutes, then peel them.
- Cut the boiled eggs into halves (lengthwise) then take the yolks out and put them in a mixing bowl.6 hard boiled eggs
- Mash all the egg yolks with a fork, add salt, pepper, mayonnaise and dijon mustard. Mix well until a creamy mixture forms.¼ cup mayonnaise, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, ½ teaspoon paprika
- Next, arrange the egg whites in the serving plate then stuff each one with a tablespoon of the egg yolks mixture.
- After that, top them with a sprinkle of paprika and a piece of smoked salmon. Then a final touch: add parsley on each appetizer.100 g smoked salmon, 1 tablespoon parsley
- To help the egg whites stay on the plate while stuffing, cut a very thin slice of each egg white's bottom before stuffing them.
- After boiling the eggs, it is important to transfer them to cold water. That will make peeling the eggs much easier.
- You may put the yolk mixture in a pastry bag and pip it on top of each egg to not make a mess.