It’s normal to lose hair, usually between 50 to 100 hairs a day. However, some types of hair loss are permanent, like pattern baldness. Pattern baldness usually runs in the family. Luckily other types of hair loss are temporary.
Hair Loss Causes:
- Weight loss
- Iron deficiency
Hair loss may appear in various ways, depending on the cause. It can come on suddenly or gradually.
This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure.
How to avoid hair loss
These are tips that can help you avoid preventable types of hair loss:
- Avoid tight hairstyles, like braids, buns or ponytails.
- Avoids twisting, rubbing or pulling your hair.
- Treat your hair gently at all times, especially when washing and brushing.
- Avoid severe treatments such as curling irons and hot oil treatments.
- Avoid medications that affect hair loss.
- Protect your hair from sunlight and ultraviolet light.
- Avoid smoking. Several studies show that there is a link between smoking and hair loss.
Diet plays an essential role in the strength and health of a person’s hair. Proteins, fats, and specific vitamins and minerals are particularly crucial for hair health and growth.
Increasing some types of foods can show an improvement in hair growth
Important foods for hair health
Foods that may boost hair growth include:
- Eggs: They contain protein, which is necessary for hair growth. They also provide a B vitamin that can increase hair growth.
- Nuts: They a source of selenium, a mineral that can improve hair health.
- Fish: This is an excellent source of omega-3, which improves hair growth.
- Walnuts: These contain omega-3, and can improve hair growth.
- Spinach: This is a good source of iron, and vitamins A and C, which promote hair growth.
- Sweet Potatoes: These contain vitamin B, Beta Carotene, Potassium, and Zinc.
- Avocados: They are generous in vitamin E that can improve hair growth.
- Seeds: They contain vitamin E, zinc and selenium that help hair growth.
- Berries: They contain vitamin C that promotes hair growth.
Vitamin D deficiencies contribute to hair loss. Most of the vitamin D you get is from exposure to sunlight and diet.
Some foods that contain vitamin D are:
- beef liver
- fatty fish
- egg yolks
- essential oils
Essential oils are used to improve hair growth. If you are going to use essential oils, you should dilute them in carrier oils like coconut oil.
Some useful essential oils include:
- lavender oil
- tulsi oil
- thyme oil
- peppermint oil
- rosemary oil
Massaging the scalp may help improve blood flow. Which may assist hair to grow. Giving a gentle scalp massage using essential oils could present extra benefits.
Things that can improve your hair loss:
[ Don’t miss: Foods That Reduce Stress and Anxiety.]