This lamb stew recipe is so comforting and filled with healthy ingredients like celery, carrots, potatoes, onion, garlic, and peas. It’s one of my favourite dinner recipes and it’s a perfect dinner for any special occasions or family and friends gathering.
I like to serve this lamb stew with some pickles and bread.
What's in this stew?
Lamb: Cut into 2 inches pieces.
Veggies: Carrots, potatoes, celery, peas, garlic and onions.
Spices and herbs: Fresh rosemary, bay leaves, salt, and ground black pepper.
Other ingredients: Tomato puree and 1 cube beef/chicken stock.
How to make the lamb stew?
Put the lamp in a hot grease pot. Cook until it becomes brown in about 5-6 minutes then add onion and garlic and ½ cup of water. Keep cooking until almost fully cooked in about 20-30 minutes (you can add more water to prevent it from getting too dry).
Next, add carrots, celery, potatoes, rosemary, bay leaves, beef stock, tomato puree, and water. Bring to a boil then keep cooking for about 10 minutes. Add the peas and cook for another 15 minutes.
Garnish with some chopped parsley and serve.
Which meat cut is the best for this stew?
I prefer to use the lamp shoulder because it gets so tender in the stew. However, you can use any part you prefer, just make sure not to get a leg of lamb which is best for grilling.
Can I make this lamb stew in the oven?
Yes, you can. Just follow the exact directions below and complete the cooking in the oven. It will take about 1-2 hours to fully cook.
What should I serve with this lamb stew?
Actually, this lamb stew is a whole meal, but you can serve it with pasta, rice, or bread.
How should I store this stew?
In an airtight container; keep in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 1-2 months.
Do I need to add flour or corn-starch to thicken the stew?
No, you don't as long as you add potatoes in the stew because they help in thickening this stew.
You can make this lamb stew recipe in the crockpot, oven, or even pressure cooker.
You can make this stew ahead of time and keep it in the fridge ready to serve.
It is also good for meal prep. You can divide the stew into 8 airtight containers and keep in the freezer. When ready to use, remove it from the freezer, thaw out in room temperature, then reheat in the oven or microwave.
More stew recipes
- 750 g lamb , cut into 2 inches pieces
- 2 carrots , chopped
- 5 potatoes , cut into cubes
- 2 ribs celery , chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary , chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 4 cups water
- 1 cube beef/chicken stock
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook the lamb in a hot grease pot until it becomes brown in about 5-6 minutes.
- Add onion and garlic and ½ cup of water and Keep cooking about 20-30 minutes (you may need to add more water to prevent it from getting too dry).
- Next, add carrots, rosemary, celery, beef stock, potatoes, bay leaves, tomato puree, and water and keep cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the peas and cook for another 10-15 minutes then turn off the heat.