Mashed potato pancakes make a healthy lunch or side dish; they are easy and cheesy. You can also turn them into a lovely light dinner by adding some shredded chicken to them. The best thing about this recipe is so customizable; you can make it using any leftovers you have in your fridge. Serving these mashed potato pancakes with a tangy sour cream makes them even more delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure.
Ingredients you will need
Ground black pepper
Green onion, chopped
Mozzarella cheese, shredded
Oil to sauté
How to make mashed potatoes?
Wash and peel the potatoes before cutting them into halves. Take a large pot and fill it halfway with water. Put it on high heat and add a ½ teaspoon of salt and the potatoes. Cook the potatoes until they become soft. Drain them. Mash the potatoes using a fork.
How to make mashed potato pancakes?
In a mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, green onion, flour, salt, ground black pepper, an egg, and mozzarella cheese. Scoop up one tablespoon of the mixture. Then, using your hands, form a patty with it. Dip both sides of the pancake into the breadcrumbs, then set aside on a flat surface. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Pour some oil in a skillet. Place on medium heat. Then place the pancakes leaving enough space between them. Sauté for 3 minutes on each side.
- Don't form big sized patties because it’s difficult to flip them.
- When sautéing the pancakes try to leave suitable space between them to be able to flip them onto the other side easily.
- Use a non-stick skillet to sauté the potato pancakes.
- Be sure to drain the potatoes well before mashing because the added moisture will make it difficult to form them into patties.
- If your potato mixture is runny and you can't form patties add more flour (one or two tablespoons, based on how runny they are).
- If you are not a fan of mozzarella cheese, you can replace it with cheddar.
Can I add any more veggies to these potato pancakes?
Yes, you can add corn, bell pepper, basil, or sundried tomatoes.
What to serve with mashed potato pancakes?
Serve them with any salad of your choice or one of the following recipes:
Mashed Potato Pancakes
- In a mixing bowl, combine the potatoes, green onion, flour, salt, ground black pepper, an egg, and mozzarella cheese.
- Scoop up one tablespoon of the mixture.
- Then, using your hands, form a patty with it.
- Dip both sides of the pancake into the breadcrumbs, then set aside on a flat surface.
- Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Pour some oil in a skillet. Place on medium heat. Then place the pancakes leaving enough space between them.
- Sauté for 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve immediately.