Looking for an easy vegetarian dish for dinner? These Vegetarian stuffed portobello mushrooms are stuffed with tomatoes, cheese, bell pepper and olives and baked to perfection. This delicious meatless dish will be ready in less than 30 minutes.
This dish is so delicious, low-carb and low-calorie meal. It is a super easy and perfect meal for dinner. So, if you are following a keto diet or a low-carb diet, this is your ideal meal. However, of course you can still enjoy this dish if you aren't following any diet.
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- An easy and delicious side dish that you will be ready in less than 30 minutes.
- A low carb, gluten-free and keto-friendly recipe.
- This is a great recipe for dinner parties or any special occasion.
- This is a vegetarian recipe; no meat is used.
Why Use Portobello Mushrooms
Portobello mushrooms have a meaty texture, unlike white button mushrooms which have more like a spongy texture.
They are so healthy, flavourful and big, so you can stuff them easily. Portobello mushrooms are also perfect for grilling, baking or boiling.
Portobello Mushrooms: Large
Tomatoes: Use fresh cherry tomatoes.
Green bell pepper: You can use red bell pepper.
Cheddar cheese: You may use mozzarella cheese instead.
Seasonings: Dry basil, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper.
“See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.”
Variations & Substitutions
- Add in black olives, feta cheese or goat cheese.
- Add in some fresh herbs such as parsley, cilantro or dill.
- Replace cherry tomatoes with sun-dried tomatoes.
- You can also add in some nuts, such as pine nuts or walnuts.
- Add in more veggies, such as fresh spinach, diced zucchini, and chopped red onion.
- Garlic cloves will be a great addition to this recipe.
How To Make Vegetarian Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
One - Prepare the veggies: Cut the tomatoes and green olives into halves and chop the green pepper.
Two - Prepare the mushrooms: Clean the mushrooms and carefully cut off the mushroom stems.
Three - Mix the filling: In a bowl mix the green pepper, olives and tomatoes. Mix in all the spices until combined.
Four - Place the mushrooms in an oven tray and fill each one with the filling. Then top with the cheddar cheese.
Five - Bake in the oven at 190C/ 374F for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- In this recipe, I have baked these stuffed mushrooms. However, you can grill them, if you like.
- Use large portobello mushrooms to be able to stuff them.
Make-Ahead Of Time
Chop the veggies, clean portobello mushrooms and mix up the filling together and keep everything ready in the fridge 1-2 days ahead of assembling and baking the dish.
How To Store
Store the leftover stuffed mushrooms in an airtight container in the fridge for a maximum of 2 days, reheat in the microwave or the oven. I prefer to eat it fresh. So, I bake what lasts for only one day.
How To Serve
Frequently Asked Questions
No, If you want to make this recipe vegan, use vegan cheese.
Wipe the mushrooms with a wet kitchen towel until clean.
Mushrooms usually get soggy when you wash them with water because they tend to absorb some of this water which will make them soggy.
Of course! You can add ground beef, chicken or lamb.
Vegetarian Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms , large
- ⅓ cup Tomatoes
- ½ cup Green pepper
- ½ cup Green olives
- 1 cup Cheddar cheese , shredded
- ½ teaspoon Dry basil
- ½ teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon Black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Prepare the veggies: Cut the tomatoes and green olives into halves and chop the green pepper.⅓ cup Tomatoes, ½ cup Green pepper, ½ cup Green olives
- In a bowl mix the green pepper, olives and tomatoes. Add in all the seasonings.½ teaspoon Red pepper flakes, ½ teaspoon Black pepper, ½ teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Dry basil
- Clean the mushrooms and carefully cut the stems off the mushrooms. Then place them in a baking sheet.4 Portobello Mushrooms
- Fill mushrooms with the filling. Then top them with the cheddar cheese.1 cup Cheddar cheese
- Bake at on 180C/ 356F for 20-25 min until the vegetables are cooked and the cheese is melted.
- In this recipe, I have baked these stuffed mushrooms. However, you can grill them if you like.
- Replace cheddar with mozzarella.
- Add black olives, spinach or feta cheese.