This Sweet Couscous with butter, nuts, and powdered sugar is an amazing dessert. You can even replace the sugar and nuts with fresh fruits to have a healthy and easy breakfast. Couscous is such a good alternative to oatmeal.
Making Sweet Couscous is so easy. All you have to do is pour boiled water over it and cover it for 10 minutes. Now it is ready to top with nuts, powdered sugar, or anything you like.
What is couscous?
Couscous made with semolina flour mixed with water. The dough rolls into tiny balls and steams over boiling water. So, technically couscous is tiny pellets of pasta. Making couscous from semolina flour prevent it from getting mushy while cooking. The good news is, you don't have go through this process to make couscous; it is already available in supermarkets and in different sizes (small, medium and large). All you have to do is cook it the way you like, whether savoury or sweet.
Couscous is a dish that is very popular in Arab countries and medial east. In some countries like Morocco and Maghrib, couscous is a side dish that is served almost every day.
Sweet Couscous Ingredients:
Couscous: I used medium size couscous.
Toppings: powdered sugar, walnut, shredded coconut, raisins, almond and hazelnut.
How to make Sweet Couscous?
Put the couscous in a bowl. Add the boiling water and butter, stir. Then cover the bowl and set aside for 8-10 minutes. Fluff the couscous using a fork. Then top it with powdered sugar and mix of the nuts, serve.
- I use medium-sized couscous in making this recipe; however, if you like to use large size couscous, you may need to simmer it on the stovetop with more water to cook properly.
- Follow the 1:1 couscous to boiled water ratio. For every cup of couscous, use a cup of boiled water. This ratio works perfectly with me. More water will led to sticky couscous, and less water will led to dry couscous. Always check the package instructions, it may require a different ratio.
- Once you pour the boiled water over the couscous, stir it, then cover it quickly. Leave it for 10 minutes without stirring until it fully absorbs the water.
Can I make this Sweet Couscous with oil instead of butter?
Yes, you can replace butter with olive oil if you like; however, the taste will be different. You won't have the buttery taste. I used to make it with olive oil when I would make a savoury couscous dish like this Mediterranean couscous salad.
What other topping suggestions for Sweet Couscous?
Sweet Couscous can be eaten as a dessert with nuts and sugar or as breakfast with chopped fruits. Below are some suggestions for toppings.
- Dried fruits and nuts
- Cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar
- Fresh fruits such as raspberry, blueberry, or banana
How much will 1 cup couscous yield?
One cup of dry couscous will give you 2-2 ½ cups of cooked couscous.
Is couscous low carb?
No, in fact, because couscous made of semolina, it contains mostly carbohydrates.
Is couscous healthy?
Yes, it is a good vegan grain option, it is low in fat, and it has good protein and fibre levels. Also, it contains lots of vitamins and minerals such as calcium, magnesium, vitamin E and B, zinc, and iron.
For healthier couscous, buy wholewheat couscous, which is made from wholewheat durum (which is higher in fibre).
Is couscous gluten-free?
As couscous made of semolina, it is not gluten-free.
More Mediterranean Recipes:
Sweet Couscous - Easy Dessert Recipe
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- Put the couscous in a bowl and add the boiling water and butter, stir. Cover the bowl and set aside for 8-10 minutes. Fluff the couscous using a fork. Top it with powdered sugar and mix of the nuts, then serve.
- I use medium-sized couscous in making this recipe, so if you want to use large size couscous, you may need to simmer it on the stovetop with more water to cook properly.
- Follow the 1:1 couscous to boiled water ratio. For every cup of couscous, use a cup of boiled water. This ratio works perfectly for me. Using more water will lead to sticky couscous, and less water will lead to dry couscous (but check the package instructions, it may require a different ratio).
- Once you pour the boiled water over the couscous, stir, then cover it quickly and leave it for ten minutes without stirring until fully absorb the water.
DON’T WANT TO MISS A RECIPE?
Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to keep up-to-date with all new recipes.
If you have a question about this Sweet Couscous recipe, please leave a comment or contact me via the contact page.