Cornbread with a little honey and butter makes a lovely and quick breakfast. I love homemade cornbread because it can be made in so many ways; whether baked in the oven, made in a skillet, or even steamed. Also, its texture can vary from flats like patties or soft and fluffy like a cake. These variations depend on what texture you prefer and how you want your cornbread to taste like.
This post may contain affiliate links. See Disclosure.
This homemade cornbread is moist and not too crumbly. Using butter will make cornbread rich, while using buttermilk will make it soft.
What's in this homemade cornbread?
How to make cornbread?
Preparations: Preheat the oven to 170C/350F .
Line a 9 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
Combining the wet ingredients: In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter. Then add the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Add buttermilk, mix again.
Adding the dry ingredients: Add flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to the mixture. Mix well. Pour the mixture in the baking dish.
Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- You can make muffins with this recipe by greasing a 12 cup muffin tin with butter, pouring in the batter, and baking for 25-30 minutes.
- You can freeze the cornbread by wrapping it in a plastic wrap. It will keep for one to two months.
What are the topping options for cornbread?
When we talk about cornbread toppings, butter and honey will be the winners. However, there are many more topping options such as cream cheese, jam or Nutella.
What kind of cornmeal should I buy?
I recommend buying good quality cornmeal. I use Bob's Red Mill Cornmeal, it is medium grind cornmeal. However, you can use coarse cornmeal if you like the gritty texture.
I don't have buttermilk can I substitute it?
Buttermilk is very important in this recipe to ensure that the cornbread will not turn out dry and flavourless. However, if you don't have buttermilk, you can add one tablespoon of white vinegar to a cup of milk and use it instead of buttermilk.
- Easy pumpkin bread recipe
- Chocolate chips banana bread
- Healthy lemon and blueberry baked oatmeal
- Easy homemade raspberry muffins
- Easy chocolate chip banana muffins
- Sweet french toast
Homemade Cornbread From Scratch
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and butter. Then add the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Add buttermilk, mix again.
- Add flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to the mixture. Mix well. Pour the mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.