Garlic bread grilled cheese sandwiches are crusty garlic bread filled with ooey-gooey melted cheese and browned to perfection. Grilled cheese sandwiches are my family's favourite comfort food. When we want to make something that is really quick, delicious, and flavourful, these grilled cheese sandwiches are our best choice.
These garlic bread grilled cheese sandwiches really take the ordinary grilled cheese sandwich to the next level. The main three ingredients of these sandwiches are garlic, butter, and bread slices. Because these sandwiches are made with only a few ingredients, they make an easy lunch or dinner.
Why should you try this recipe?
Quick and easy
Delicious for quick lunch
Cheap to make
Can be made ahead of time
What's in this Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
Mozzarella cheese, slices
How to make Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwiches?
In a small mixing bowl, combine softened butter with minced garlic, parsley, and basil.
Spread a tablespoon of the butter mixture on one side of each bread slice.
Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and place two of the bread slices on the skillet, the buttered side down.
Next, top each bread slice with 2-3 slices of mozzarella cheese. Then top the mozzarella cheese with the rest of bread slices, the buttered side up.
Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the bread becomes a golden-brown colour. Then carefully flip the sandwich on the other side and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
Turn off the heat and cut the sandwiches into halves then serve immediately.
- You can use medium or thick bread slices; both will work well.
- Make sure to cover the entire bread surface with the butter mixture. Don't forget the edges.
- To help the cheese melt faster, you can cover the skillet with a lid or with a sheet of foil paper.
- I recommend cooking this sandwich on medium to low heat to give the cheese time to melt well and to avoid burning the bread.
- This recipe makes two sandwiches. Feel free to scale it down for one sandwich or scale it up for more than two sandwiches.
- Feel free to spice this sandwich with your favourite spices such as red chilli flakes, dried mint, basil, or any spices and herbs you like.
What kind of bread should I use in making this recipe?
Well, you can use any bread you like; I like to use regular white bread or whole wheat bread slices.
How to store this garlic bread grilled cheese sandwiches?
Wrap the sandwiches individually in a plastic wrap or parchment paper and keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Can I freeze these sandwiches?
Yes, you can. These Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwiches freeze so well. I use to make a big batch of these sandwiches and freeze them and when I needed one of them, I simply put it in the microwave straight from the freezer for 1 minute or in the oven for 10 minutes. To freeze these sandwiches, wrap each sandwich in parchment paper then put in a well-sealed container in the freezer for two months.
What to serve with these sandwiches?
You can serve some lettuce, black olives (kalamata), tomato soup, some pickles, green salad, or even serve it with any sauce you prefer for dipping.
Can I make these Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwiches gluten-free?
Yes, you can, just use gluten-free bread to make the recipe. Here are some of my gluten-free and low carb bread recipes:
What can you replace parsley with?
You can replace parsley with dried mint, thyme, or oregano.
Can I use cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella?
Yes, you can use any kind of cheese that melts quickly, such as Cheddar, Gouda, Provolone, and Fontina. You can also use a combination of cheese such as a mixture of parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
Can I use garlic powder instead of fresh garlic?
Well, that totally depends on how you like your sandwich to taste. If you like it to have a strong garlic flavour you may need to use fresh garlic; however, you can use garlic powder if you like it to have a mild garlic flavour.
Can I make these Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwiches in the oven?
Yes, you definitely can. Bake them in the oven at 190C for 5-6 minutes or until becoming golden brown.
More recipes you may like:
Try the garlic bread grilled cheese sandwiches and let me know how they turn out.
Garlic Bread Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- 4 bread slices
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp butter, softened
- ¼ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp dried parsley
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese
- In a small mixing bowl, combine softened butter with minced garlic, parsley, and basil.
- Spread a tablespoon of the butter mixture on one side of each bread slice.
- Heat a non-stick skillet on medium heat and place two of the bread slices on the skillet, the buttered side down.
- Next, top each bread slice with 2-3 slices of mozzarella cheese. Then top the mozzarella cheese with the rest of bread slices, the buttered side up.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes or until the bread becomes a golden-brown colour. Then carefully flip the sandwich on the other side and cook for 1-2 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat and cut the sandwiches into halves then serve immediately.