Easy date loaf cake recipe, loaded with crunchy walnuts and sweet, sticky Medjool dates. Perfect for breakfast or snack.
Walnut Date Loaf Cake Recipe
I always have dates in my pantry; my family and I consider them the best snacks ever. We LOVE it. However, I prefer the soft, sticky dates over the dry ones.
I used Medjool dates in this recipe because it has a chewy texture and sweet flavour; it is really so good.
I also find that walnuts add a lovely crunch, and it goes so well with the dates.
Ah,I used self-raising flour this time, but if you don't have it on hand, don't worry. You can still make this cake with all-purpose flour; however, you will have to add a teaspoon of baking powder.
The cake turned out amazing; both taste and texture were absolutely wonderful. Also, it is so easy to put together, Alright, alright, enough of this. Let us now move on to the actual recipe that you are here for!
Walnut Date Loaf Ingredients
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Dates. I used Medjool dates, they are the crux of this recipe. They add a mild sweetness to the cake, acting as a “natural candy.” Don't forget to cut the dates into small chunks.
Butter. Butter adds tenderness, richness, and structure to the cake. I prefer to use unsalted butter.
Caster Sugar. It is the main contributor to the sweetness of your cake along with the dates.
Boiling Water. I used it to soak the Dates. This ensures that the Dates remain soft and do not become too chewy.
Eggs. I used just one large egg.
Self-Raising Flour. Self-Raising Flour, along with the baking soda, is required to give your cake the fluff that we are looking for.
Walnuts. My favorite nuts ever! They will add a crunchy nuttiness to your cake. Walnuts and Dates are known to tie along very well, so adding them is definitely not something that you will regret!
- Some dried fruits you can add to the loaf cake are sultanas, apricots, cranberries, etc. In fact, you can add any and all the dried fruits that you like, and the Date Loaf will still taste amazing.
- You can swap out the butter for any neutral flavoured oil or olive oil if you want to.
How To Make Walnut Date Loaf?
One: Preheat the oven to 170 C / 338 F and line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
Two: In a mixing bowl, add dates, butter, and boiling water. Mix well, and then set aside to cool.
Three: Now, add egg and walnuts, and mix until combined.
Four: Sift in flour, baking soda, and sugar until combined.
Five: Transfer the batter to the loaf tin and bake for 50-55 minutes.
Pro Tip: Once you have transferred the batter to the loaf tin, gently pat the tin on the sides to remove any air incorporated into the batter.
Six: Let it cool, cut, and serve.
- If you use Medjool dates for this recipe, make sure that you chop them to small chunks. Remember to remove the seed before chopping.
- You may want to use a firm loaf tin instead of a silicone one for baking your Date Loaf. Silicone loaf tins sometimes lose shape, and the batter spills out as a result.
- Make sure to grease the tin or line with parchment paper before transferring the batter into it to avoid sticking.
This cake also goes well with freshly squeezed fruit juice or a cup of Thyme Tea.
I stored this loaf cake in an airtight container at room temperature, and it was good for up to five days.
To freeze: Wrap it in a tin foil or keep it in a freezer-safe container. It is now ready to be chugged into the freezer.
Reheating Instructions: If you would like to gobble down your cake warm, just microwave it directly for about 10 seconds, and you are ready to go.
Insert a toothpick into your cake. If it comes out clean, it indicates that your loaf cake has properly cooked through.
Yes, you can definitely make it in a way which can be consumed as a part of a vegan diet. Just leave out the eggs completely, and it will be just as fine. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, instead of the butter, use any neutral flavoured oil that you want or margarine.
Easy Date Recipes
- Delicious Date Shake Recipe - Palm Springs
- Nut And Date Energy Balls
- Healthy Energy Balls Recipe With Date And Oat
- Date Slice Recipe
More Cake Recipe
Walnut Date Loaf Cake
- Preheat the oven to 170C / 338F and line a 2lb loaf tin with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, add dates, butter and boiling water, mix well, then set aside to cool.225 g Dates, 85 g Butter, 120 ml Boiling Water
- Now, add egg and walnuts, and mix until combined.1 Egg, 85 g Walnuts
- Sift in flour, baking soda and sugar. Transfer the batter to the loaf tin and bake for 50-55 minutes.1 teaspoon Baking Soda, 225 g Self-raising Flour, 85 g Caster Sugar
- Let it cool, cut and serve.
- If you use Medjool dates for this recipe, make sure that you chop them in half. Remember to remove the seed before chopping.
- Make sure that you grease the tin or line with parchment paper before transferring the batter into it to avoid sticking.
- Once you have transferred the batter to the loaf tin, gently pat the tin on the sides to remove any air incorporated into the batter.
- Make sure that the butter you are using is at room temperature.
- If you cannot get your hands on self-rising Flour, worry not! You can go for plain Flour as well. Just add a teaspoon of baking powder to it.