Incredibly soft, fluffy and moist pumpkin cupcakes spiced with warm pumpkin pie spice and topped with super delicious cream cheese frosting. Perfect for breakfast or snack.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
I love these pumpkin cupcakes because they are soft and moist, super quick and easy to make, ready in just 30 minutes, full of fall flavors and made with simple ingredients.
Also, this recipe is my go-to for using my stored pumpkin puree; so, I used homemade pumpkin puree.
When I make any pumpkin recipe that needs a topping, I always think of cream cheese because they go so well with each other.
However, this recipe is custmaizable, you can use whipped cream, chocolate ganache, peanut butter, or just sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.
I also love using muffin liners because they make the muffins look nice and prevent them from sticking in the pan. Instead, you can generously grease the muffin tin with butter, so the muffins get out easily from the tin.
What's In This Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes?
“See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.”
Granulated sugar: I used white sugar; however, you can use light brown sugar instead.
Flour: I used all-purpose flour, you may use gluten-free flour instead to make this recipe gluten-free. For best results, measure the flour correctly.
Baking powder: It gives the cupcakes a light, airy texture.
Baking soda: It allows the batter to rise and become light and fluffy.
Pumpkin pie spice: This aromatic spice blend is usually used to flavor the pumpkin and can be bought from the store or made at home. You may also use ground cinnamon instead.
Tip: To make homemade Pumpkin pie spice, mix 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon ground cloves.
Pumpkin puree: I used homemade pumpkin puree. You can use canned pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling.
Eggs: Use 3 large eggs at room temperature; make sure to take the eggs out of the fridge 20 minutes before you start making the cupcakes.
Cooking oil: Use Sunflower, vegetable oil or avocado oil to ensure moist and fluffy cupcakes.
Butter: It gives a delicious buttery flavor.
For The Toppings, I used full fat Philadelphia (Mascarpone cream cheese also works well), powdered sugar and some sprinkles (optional).
How To Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting?
Before starting, preheat the oven to 180C / 356F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners or grease them with butter.
One: Cream the butter and sugar well using the electric hand mixer. Then add the eggs, one by one, and whisk. Followed by pumpkin puree, whisk.
Two (Add the dry ingredients): Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice over the wet ingredients, and mix well until incorporated. Add the oil, then mix.
Three: Use a large cookie scoop to divide the batter between the muffin cups (don't overfill with the batter).
Tip: Make sure to fill each cup just about ⅔ full to give space for the batter to rise.
Four: Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fully baked. Let them cool on a wire rack.
Five (Make the cream cheese frosting): In a bowl, mix the cream cheese and the powdered sugar until smooth, then refrigerate for an hour until the unfrosted cupcakes are totally cooled down.
Six: Put the cream cheese in a piping bag then decorate the cupcakes then add the sprinkles on top of the frosting.
Variations & Substitutions
- If you like to add some crunchiness to the muffins, go ahead and add ⅓ cup of chopped nuts (any kind you like).
- Mix in some white or milk chocolate chips.
Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Ahead Of Time
You can prepare the unfrosted cupcakes and wrap them individually in plastic wrap and keep them in the fridge for 2-3 days before serving.
You can also prepare the cream cheese frosting a day ahead of time and keep it in an air-tight container in the fridge.
You can store cupcakes in the refrigerator in a well-closed container for up to 4 days without getting dry.
I don't recommend freezing these cupcakes with cream cheese topping. However, you can definitely freeze the muffins without the toppings in an airtight container for 4 to 6 weeks.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
- Healthy pumpkin pancake recipe
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Pumpkin Seed Butter
- Pumpkin Custard Pie
Easy Fall Recipes
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 5 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles , optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners or grease them with butter.
- Cream the butter and sugar well using the electric hand mixer. Then add the eggs, one by one, whisk. Followed by pumpkin puree, whisk.1 ¼ cup granulated sugar, ½ cup butter, 1 cup pumpkin puree, 3 eggs
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice over the wet ingredients, mix well until incorporated. Add the oil then mix.2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, ¾ teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice, ½ cup cooking oil
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups (don't overfill with batter).
- Bake for 25 minutes or until fully baked. Let them cool down.
Make the topping
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese and the powdered sugar well then refrigerate for an hour until the muffins are totally cooled down.1 cup cream cheese, 5 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Put the cream cheese in a pastry bag then decorate the cupcakes then add the sprinkles on top of the frosting.1 tablespoon sprinkles