These moist pumpkin spice cupcakes with cream cheese frosting are simple and easy Fall treats, loaded with pumpkin puree, flavored with pumpkin pie spice.
- Why You'll Love This Recipe
- What Is Pumpkin Spice?
- What's In This Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes?
- Variations & Substitutions
- How To Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting?
- Expert Tips!
- Serving Ideas
- Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Ahead Of Time
- Recipe FAQS
- More Pumpkin Recipes
- Easy Fall Recipes
- Recipe Card
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Easy recipe, ready in less than 30 minutes.
- A delicious treat that is full of fall flavors.
- Perfect for breakfast or snack with a cup of coffee.
- Made with simple ingredients.
- Custmaizable! You can top these cupcakes with anything you like, chocolate or caramel sauce, whipped cream or sprinkled powdered sugar.
- Simple recipe! No need to use a stand mixer or any other special equipment to make this recipe.
- This is the perfect way to use up leftover pumpkin puree.
What Is Pumpkin Spice?
Pumpkin spice (also called Pumpkin pie spice) is a spice blend made with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves (Sometimes, add ground allspice as well).
This aromatic spice blend is usually used to flavor the pumpkin and can be bought from the store or made at home.
To make homemade Pumpkin pie spice, mix 2 tablespoon ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg and ¼ teaspoon ground cloves.
What's In This Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes?
- Granulated sugar: This recipe calls for white sugar; however, you can use light brown sugar instead.
- All-purpose flour: For best results, measure the flour correctly.
- Baking powder: It gives the cupcakes a light, airy texture.
- Baking soda: It allows the batter to rise and become light and fluffy.
- Pumpkin pie spice: It is A blend of warm spices used to flavor the pumpkin.
- Pumpkin puree: You can use canned pumpkin puree. However, it is easy to make homemade pumpkin puree from scratch.
- Eggs: Use 3 large eggs at room temperature; make sure to take the eggs out of the fridge 20 minutes before you start making the cupcakes.
- Cooking oil: Use Sunflower, vegetable oil or avocado oil to ensure moist and fluffy cupcakes.
- Butter: It gives a delicious buttery flavor.
- Cream cheese: I recommend using Philadelphia or Mascarpone cream cheese.
- Powdered sugar: To taste.
- Sprinkles (optional)
“See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.”
Variations & Substitutions
- If you like to add some crunchiness to the muffins, go ahead and add ⅓ cup of chopped nuts (any kind you like).
- Use this recipe to make a pumpkin spice cake; pour the batter into a 9×13 pan and adjust the baking time accordingly. A whole cake will take about 35-40 minutes to bake.
- Replace the pumpkin spice with ground cinnamon.
- Mix in some white or milk chocolate chips.
How To Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting?
Before starting, preheat the oven to 180C / 356F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with cupcake liners or grease them with butter.
One: Cream the butter and sugar well using the electric hand mixer. Then add the eggs, one by one, and whisk. Followed by pumpkin puree, whisk.
Two (Add the dry ingredients): Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice over the wet ingredients, and mix well until incorporated. Add the oil, then mix.
Three: Use a large cookie scoop to divide the batter between the muffin cups (don't overfill with the batter).
Four: Bake for 20-25 minutes or until fully baked. Let them cool on a wire rack.
Five (Make the cream cheese frosting): In a bowl, mix the cream cheese and the powdered sugar until smooth, then refrigerate for an hour until the unfrosted cupcakes are totally cooled down.
Six: Put the cream cheese in a piping bag then decorate the cupcakes then add the sprinkles on top of the frosting.
Muffin Liners: I love using muffin liners because they make the muffins look nice and prevent them from sticking in the pan. However, if you don't fancy using them, you can generously grease the muffin tin with butter, so the muffins get out easily from the tin.
Topping: When I make any pumpkin recipe that needs a topping, I always think of cream cheese because they go so well with each other. However, if you don't prefer using cream cheese as a topping, you can use whipped cream, chocolate ganache, peanut butter, or just sprinkle some powdered sugar on top.
Make Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes Ahead Of Time
You can prepare the unfrosted cupcakes and wrap them individually in plastic wrap and keep them in the fridge for 2-3 days before serving.
You can also prepare the cream cheese frosting a day ahead of time and keep it in an air-tight container in the fridge.
You can store cupcakes in the refrigerator in a well-closed container for up to 4 days without getting dry.
I don't recommend freezing these cupcakes with cream cheese topping. However, you can definitely freeze the muffins without the toppings in an airtight container for 4 to 6 weeks.
Yes, you can add half teaspoon of pumpkin spice to the cream cheese and powdered sugar while making the topping.
No, you don't have to use them. Instead, you can sprinkle some chopped pecan, some ground cinnamon or just leave it as it is.
Yes, you can; any gluten-free flour should work fine with this recipe.
More Pumpkin Recipes
- Pumpkin Bundt Cake Recipe: This bundt cake is so soft and moist. It is made using sour cream, butter, sugar and of course, pumpkin.
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting: This is the most delicious pumpkin cake, it is so moist and topped with cream cheese and pecans.
- Healthy pumpkin pancake recipe: Fluffy pumpkin pancakes made using greek yoghurt, so delicious.
- Old Fashioned Pumpkin Bread Recipe: Learn how to make super easy and delicious pumpkin bread for breakfast.
Easy Fall Recipes
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes With Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 5 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles , optional
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 356F and line a 12 cup muffin tin with muffin liners or grease them with butter.
- Cream the butter and sugar well using the electric hand mixer. Then add the eggs, one by one, whisk. Followed by pumpkin puree, whisk.1 ¼ cup granulated sugar, ½ cup butter, 1 cup pumpkin puree, 3 eggs
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice over the wet ingredients, mix well until incorporated. Add the oil then mix.2 cups all-purpose flour, 2 teaspoon baking powder, ¾ teaspoon baking soda, 2 teaspoon Pumpkin pie spice, ½ cup cooking oil
- Scoop the batter into the muffin cups (don't overfill with batter).
- Bake for 25 minutes or until fully baked. Let them cool down.
Make the topping
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese and the powdered sugar well then refrigerate for an hour until the muffins are totally cooled down.1 cup cream cheese, 5 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Put the cream cheese in a pastry bag then decorate the cupcakes then add the sprinkles on top of the frosting.1 tablespoon sprinkles