This super moist and easy Red Velvet Mug Cake is eggless and only takes 90 seconds in the microwave to be ready. The taste and texture of this single-serving dessert are SUPERB, and I also topped it with cream cheese frosting.
Red Velvet Mug Cake
It is mildly chocolatey from the cocoa with the touch and hint of tartness that compliments the cream cheese frosting on top of this decadent dessert.
The texture is smooth, soft and rich, and each bite would feel like tasting the best mug cake you could ever think of.
It may seem like a fancy dessert to you, but you would be surprised at how quickly and easily this recipe can be done.
To succeed, I have 2 recommendations for you guys; the first one is to use the gel red food colour as it gives a better result than the liquid food colour. The second one is not to use Dutch-processed cocoa powder. It won't give you the perfect red velvet colour.
Having been existing since the Victorian era, red velvet gives off a classy and elegant vibe to this mug cake. If you wish, you can even gift some servings of these mug cakes to anyone you like, as they are extremely pleasing, and the taste will never ever disappoint anyone.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy, easy peasy.
- Just 90 seconds recipe.
- It is eggless. No eggs is used in the batter.
- A perfect Christmas dessert!
- Soft, fluffy, overflowing with delicious goodness.
- It is very festive; hence children, even toddlers, will have no difficulty eating this dessert.
What's in This Red Velvet Mug Cake Recipe?
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
All-purpose Flour. Mug cakes will not have their desired texture without flour. All-purpose flour will help your mug cake to rise and achieve a softer texture.
Baking Soda. With the presence of baking soda, the mug cake will rise and become lighter and softer in texture.
Cocoa Powder. Accompany your red velvet flavor of mug cake with the mild chocolatey taste of the unsweetened cocoa powder. For perfect result, use natural cocoa powder and don't use the dutch processed cocoa powder as it will affect the cake's outcome color badly.
Granulated Sugar. Sweeten your mug cake mixture with sugar.
Vegetable Oil. It helps in creating a moist mug cake.
Milk. Help the ingredients be combined. I used whole milk for a richer texture. You may also use plant-based milk such as oat milk and soy milk.
Buttermilk. Red velvet is known for its slight tang and acidity, and with buttermilk, this recipe will finally achieve the red velvet flavor.
White Vinegar. I add white vinegar into the mixture to help the buttermilk in creating the finishing touch of the red velvet flavor.
Red Food Coloring. I recommend using gel food coloring.
Butter. I thicken the cream cheese frosting of this recipe with butter for a fluffy and creamy consistency
Cream Cheese. I use Philadelphia cream cheese to make the frosting.
Powdered Sugar. I use it to sweeten the frosting.
How To Make Red Velvet Mug Cake?
In a small mixing bowl, combine all the mug cake ingredients. Whisk until the batter is smooth. Put in the microwave for about 90 seconds. Let the cake cool.
Make the cream cheese frosting: Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk until the frosting is light and fluffy. Top the cake with the frosting and enjoy.
- You may use apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.
- You may replace the cream cheese frosting with whipped cream, if you like.
- There may be an instance when baking soda is unavailable in your cupboard, feel free to swap it with baking powder. Both are leavening agent, and baking powder will do as good as baking soda for this recipe.
You have overcooked your mug cake if it comes out dry. Follow the 90 seconds timer in your microwave.
It is best to serve this mug cake straight away since storing them will make it less desirable. Mug cakes do not keep well.
More Mug Cake Recipes
Easy Red Velvet Mug Cake
- In a small mixing bowl, combine all the mug cake ingredients. Whisk until the batter is smooth.4 tablespoon all purpose flour, ⅛ teaspoon baking soda, ½ tablespoon natural cocoa powder, 2 tablespoon granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 2 tablespoon buttermilk, 1 tablespoon milk, ⅛ teaspoon distilled vinegar, ¼ teaspoon gel red food coloring
- Microwave for 90 seconds and then let the cake cool.
Make the cream cheese frosting
- cream cheese, powdered sugar and butter in a mixing bowl and whisk until the frosting is light and fluffy. Top the cake with the frosting and enjoy.28 g cream cheese, 5 tablespoon powdered sugar, 28 g butter