Chicken lentil soup is an easy Moroccan recipe that is comforting, tasty and loaded with chicken, lentils, carrots, and celery. It’s seasoned with dry coriander, cumin, and cayenne pepper. This soup is so nutritious and easy to prepare as well.
What's in this chicken lentil soup?
Chicken breasts: Cooked then cut into small pieces or shredded.
Lentils: I used brown lentil, but you can use green if you like.
Finely chopped onions
Spices: cumin, cayenne pepper, dry coriander, salt, and pepper.
Chicken stock: You can use a chicken stock cube with water in this recipe or chicken broth if you like.
How to make this easy Moroccan chicken and lentil soup?
Cooking the chicken breasts:
In a hot greased skillet cook the chicken breasts for 5-6 minutes on each side or until fully cooked. Transfer them onto a plate and let them cool down. Then cut the chicken into small pieces and set aside.
Making the soup:
Heat some oil in a pot then add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes. Now, add the lentils, chicken stock cube, and water then bring to a boil. Keep cooking for 10 minutes.
Add the chicken pieces, carrots, celery, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, dry coriander, and ground black pepper. Cook for 15 minutes more or until the chicken is fully cooked.
Garnish with chopped parsley then serve.
Can I use chicken thighs instead of breasts in making this soup?
Yes, you can swap chicken breasts with thighs.
What should I serve with this soup?
I prefer to serve it with a piece of bread. You can also serve it with some rice, pickles, or mashed potatoes.
How can I store this chicken lentil soup?
Store in an air tight container in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for 1-2 months.
More soup recipes
Chicken Lentil Soup - Eas Moroccan Recipe
- 500 g chicken breasts
- 1 stick celery , chopped
- 2 carrots , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- ½ cup brown lentil
- 1 onion , chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon dry coriander
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cube chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley (for serving)
- Put the chicken breasts in a greased skillet and cook for 5-6 minutes on each side .
- Transfer the chicken onto a plate and let them cool down. After that, cut the chicken into small pieces.
- To make the soup: Heat some oil in a pot then add the onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- When the onion becomes soft, add the lentils, chicken stock cube, and water then cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken pieces, celery, carrots, cumin, salt, cayenne pepper, dry coriander, and ground black pepper and cook for 15 minutes more.
Leave a Reply