The combination of chicken thighs, potatoes, and fresh thyme is AMAZING! This Chicken Potato Bake is absolutely delicious and incredibly easy to make. It takes 5 minutes to assemble, and the oven handles the rest!
Chicken Potato Bake
This super easy one-pan meal is simple and quick; combine all the ingredients in a single casserole dish, pop it in the oven, and voilà! It couldn't get any easier than this!
I am a big fan of cooking one-pan meals because they are so easy and simple and also you don't have to use all the kitchen pots and pans to cook dinner.
I usually lean toward chicken thighs because they're more forgiving during cooking and tend not to dry out. My trick for cooking the chicken thighs evenly and ideally is to flip the chickens to the other side After half the baking time to make sure they are perfectly cooked.
Also, the vegetables in this recipe are SO simple, I used Yukon Gold potatoes. They were so good and held their shape while cooking; red potatoes and russet work are also good choices. I also used peas and red onion.
Why We Love This Recipe
- It is super easy to make.
- Effortless one pot recipe.
- So versatile, you can use any veggies or spices you want.
- Simple casserole for an easy weeknight dinner.
- Perfect for family dinner.
- It is a healthy meal; it has protein and lots of vegetables and herbs.
- Easy casserole recipe that is suitable for the entire family.
Chicken thighs: I used chicken thighs with bone in and skin on. I actually find that chicken with bone and skin add so much flavour to this dish.
Garlic: It adds a wonderful flavor to this dish.
Dijon mustard: It adds a tangy flavor with a bit of spice.
Olive oil: You can replace with vegetable oil or sunflower oil.
Brown sugar: Just a little bit.
Chicken broth: You may use chicken stock or beef broth.
Vegetables: I used potatoes, peas and red onion.
Note: I didn't peel the potatoes, but you can peel them if you like; I cut them into halves, though.
Seasonings: My favorite seasonings for this recipe are cayenne pepper, oregano, paprika, salt and ground black pepper.
Fresh thyme (optional): To garnish the dish.
“See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.”
How To Make Chicken Potato Bake
To make this easy chicken potato casserole recipe, follow the detailed instructions below.
Before starting, preheat the oven to 200C / 400F.
First Step - Make the Marinade: In a bowl, add all the spices, olive oil, mustard, brown sugar and minced garlic then stir well until a thick paste-like mixture forms.
Second Step - Marinate the chicken thighs: Wash the raw chicken thighs and dry with a paper towel. Arrange them in an ovenproof baking dish then spread the previous mixture underneath the skin of each chicken thigh.
Third Step - Combine Everything in The Casserole: In a baking dish or a casserole dish, add the green peas, sliced onion and the potatoes under and between the chicken thighs. Pour the broth over.
Fourth Step - Bake: Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and the potatoes are tender. Garnish with fresh thyme or chopped parsley then serve.
Pro Tip: If you would like to bake this dish at 220C / 420F, you will cook it for 20-25 minutes only.
- Don't replace chicken thighs with chicken breasts, as chicken breasts tend to dry a bit in the oven.
- Use boneless and skinless chicken thighs if you like; however, you may need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- If you don't want your chicken to be crispy, cover your casserole for the first 30 minutes of baking time with aluminum foil.
Variations & Substitutions
- You can add, remove or replace any vegetable you fancy, such as zucchini, bell pepper, green beans or carrots.
- If you don't have broth or stock, you can use water.
- Add in some mushrooms.
- Add in fresh herbs such as fresh cilantro, basil or parsley.
- Make a cheesy chicken potato casserole by adding some cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese on top.
- Use sweet potatoes instead of potatoes.
How To Serve
This is a whole meal, so serve it as it is. Here are some recommendations if you like to serve it with a side dish.
- Serve with rice such as Turmeric Rice, Seaweed Rice Balls.
- Serve with salad such as Classic Taco Salad, Beetroot and Goats Cheese Salad or Japanese Seaweed Salad (Wakame).
- A drink of your choice such as Chocolate Bubble Tea or Strawberry Milk Tea.
You can use any type of potato you like, such as Yukon gold potatoes, russet potatoes, baby potatoes or red potatoes.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days or for 1-2 months in the freezer. Reheat in the oven.
More Chicken Recipes
Chicken Potato Bake
- 1 kilogram chicken thighs , bone in and skin on
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 red onion , sliced
- 5 potatoes , cut
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 400F.
- Make the Marinade: In a bowl, add all the spices, olive oil, mustard, brown sugar and minced garlic then stir well until a thick paste-like mixture forms.4 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ⅛ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, ¾ teaspoon paprika, ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Marinate the chicken thighs: Wash the raw chicken thighs and dry with a paper towel. Arrange them in an ovenproof baking dish then spread the previous mixture underneath the skin of each chicken thigh.1 kilogram chicken thighs
- Combine Everything: In a baking dish or a casserole dish, add the green peas, sliced onion and the potatoes under and between the chicken thighs. Pour the broth over.1 cup green peas, 1 red onion, 5 potatoes, 1 cup chicken broth
- Bake: Bake at for about 30-40 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and the potatoes are tender. Garnish with fresh thyme or chopped parsley then serve.1 sprig thyme
- I didn't peel the potatoes, but you can peel them if you like; I cut them into halves, though.
- I used Yukon Gold potatoes; red potatoes and russet work are also good choices.
- Flip the chickens to the other side After half the baking time to make sure they are perfectly cooked.