Spicy potato salad is a super easy summer side dish made with fresh spinach, baby potatoes, spring onion and spiced up with turmeric, chilli, curry powder and grama masala. It is incredibly flavourful and goes well with roasted chicken!
Spicy Potato Salad With Spinach
What I like the most about this potato salad is that it doesn't need a fancy dressing, just a few tablespoons of yogurt and mayonnaise spiced with flavorful spices.
I also like the combination of potatoes and fresh spinach; spinach actually adds color, flavor and texture to this salad.
This recipe is perfect as a side dish to any meal, it is also so delicious and quick for lunch, doesn't require any fancy ingredients, and is totally customizable and suitable for summer dinners.
Ah, I almost forgot. You can roast the potatoes instead of boiling them to make them crispy, and it adds great texture to the dish; I tried them boiled and roasted, and both were SO good.
Note: This is an overview of the ingredients. See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.
Baby potatoes: I used baby potatoes, and I didn't chop or peel them. You can use large ones such as Yukon gold and cut into halves. You can peel your potatoes if you like. I prefer using small, waxy and thin-skinned potatoes as they cook faster.
Yogurt: I use Greek yogurt but you may use low-fat plain yogurt.
Mayonnaise: It adds great flavor to the salad and makes it extra creamy. You may use sour cream instead.
Spices: I used medium curry powder, Grama masala, ground turmeric, chili powder, salt and ground black pepper. These spices add color and an extra kick of flavour to the salad.
Granulated sugar: Just a little bit of granulated sugar for some sweetness. Use maple syrup or honey instead.
Spring onion: Add finely sliced spring onions.
Spinach leaves: I highly recommend using fresh spinach. I chopped them roughly.
Cilantro leaves: Make sure to use fresh cilantro leaves.
How to Make Spicy Potato Salad With Spinach
One: Chop cilantro and spinach roughly. Thinly slice the spring onion.
Two: Boil the potatoes until fully cooked, drain well, then put in a mixing bowl.
Tip: You will have to boil the potatoes for approximately 15-20 minutes. Make sure to check if they’re cooked in the middle with a fork. Note that the potatoes get mushy if they’re overcooked
Three: Mix in yogurt, mayonnaise, spinach, spring onion, cilantro, sugar, curry powder, Grama masala, ground turmeric and chili powder and season with salt and pepper then serve.
Tip: You can cool the salad for an hour before serving. To allow the potatoes to absorb all the flavors.
- You can garnish this dish with some sesame seeds or finely chopped parsley.
- Replace the yogurt and mayonnaise with ¼ cup of basil pesto, if you like.
- Add some grated parmesan cheese for extra flavour.
- If you’re making potatoes ahead, peel and submerge them in water and refrigerate for up to 24hours. Potatoes, if left uncovered at room temperature, will turn brown.
However, you can serve this salad with any beef, chicken or fish dish you like.
This salad is delicious, warm or cold. I keep leftovers in the fridge for 2-3 days, and I serve them cold. SUPER delicious! However, I don't recommend freezing this salad as freezing affects the texture and flavor badly.
More Salad Recipes
- Smoked Salmon Pasta Salad
- Tuna Avocado Salad
- Tuna and Feta Salad
- Healthy Taco Salad Recipe
- Mediterranean Eggplant Salad
- Creamy Tuna Pasta Salad
- Lemon Garlic Potato Salad
Thanks for dropping in! Follow Healthy Life Trainer on Pinterest to keep up-to-date with all new recipes.
Spicy Potato Salad With Spinach
- 250 g baby potatoes
- 60 g yogurt
- 60 g mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon medium curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon grama masala
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 6 spring onion , thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup spinach leaves , chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves , chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Chop cilantro and spinach roughly. Thinly slice the spring onion.
- Boil the potatoes until fully cooked, drain well, then put in a mixing bowl.
- Mix in yogurt, mayonnaise, spinach, spring onion, cilantro, sugar, curry powder, Grama masala, ground turmeric and chili powder and season with salt and pepper then serve.