These crispy baked chicken legs and thighs with BBQ sauce are a delicious summer time chicken dish that’s super easy to make. Chicken legs and things marinated in a homemade BBQ sauce and baked in the oven until crispy.
Baked BBQ Chicken Legs And Thighs
I really enjoyed this incredibly easy dish; first, you need to make the homemade BBQ sauce; Just throw all the ingredients in the blender, blend well, toss the chicken in the sauce, and bake until it has a beautiful red colour. Perfect for an easy weeknight dinner.
You can make this BBQ chicken ahead of time and keep it in the fridge coated with the BBQ sauce ready for baking. Remember, marinating is the secret to moist and flavourful meat.
Also, you can make the BBQ sauce in advance, then freeze it for later.
Why I Love This Recipe
- A delicious barbecue chicken recipe made with simple ingredients.
- Easy dinner for the entire family and perfect for game day as well.
- Easy peasy flavorful chicken can be served with any side dish you like.
- A great way to enjoy chicken with some sauteed veggies such as green beans or sweet potatoes.
Chicken: I used bone-in drumsticks and thighs. In this recipe, you can use chicken thighs with the skin on; I just remove them to avoid the extra calories.
For The Bbq Sauce: I used garlic, Ketchup, tomato puree, white vinegar, hot sauce, BBQ seasoning, mustard powder, olive oil, granulated sugar, salt, and onion.
"See the recipe card below for more information about the ingredients and quantities."
How To Make Baked Chicken Legs And Thighs With BBQ Sauce?
First Step - Make the BBQ sauce
Add garlic, Ketchup, tomato puree, white vinegar, hot sauce, BBQ seasoning, mustard powder, olive oil, granulated sugar, salt, and onion in the blender and blend well until combined.
Second Step - Prepare the chicken
Wash the chicken then pat dry with a paper towel. Place the chicken thighs and drumsticks in an ovenproof dish then coat well with the BBQ sauce.
Third Step - Bake the chicken
Bake the chicken at 200C/ 390F for 25-30 minutes or until fully cooked. I like to broil the chicken for extra 2 minutes to get a lovely, nice colour.
- I like to make this recipe with both chicken thighs and drumsticks, but you can go with drumsticks only if you like.
- This BBQ chicken is better to be made in the oven. If you use the grill the chicken sauce may burn.
Variations & Substitutions
- Add a pinch of chili powder to your homemade barbecue sauce.
- You can use other chicken parts, such as chicken breasts.
How To Serve
You can serve this dish with salad, pasta, rice or potatoes, below are some suggestions:
Frequently Asked Questions
To store this BBQ chicken, just put leftover chicken in an airtight container and keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Also, this chicken freezes so well.
This oven baked BBQ chicken recipe goes well with chicken thighs (bone-in), drumsticks, and wings.
Inserts a meat thermometer into a chicken part; if it is at 165 degrees F, it is fully cooked.
Easy Chicken Recipes
Baked BBQ Chicken Legs And Thighs
- 6 chicken thighs , bone-in, skin removed
- 6 drumsticks , bone-in, skin removed
- 2 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon English mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon BBQ seasoning
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Put all the ingredients except the chicken in the blender, blend well until combined.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/ 390F.
- Wash the chicken then drain well.
- Place the chicken thighs and drumsticks in an ovenproof dish then coat well with the BBQ sauce.
- Bake the chicken for 25-30 minutes or until fully cooked.
- In this recipe, you can use chicken thighs with the skin on; I just remove them to avoid the extra calories.
- You can make this dish ahead of time and keep it in the fridge coated with the BBQ sauce ready for baking. Remember, marinating is the secret to moist and flavourful meat.
- Also, you can make the BBQ sauce in advance, then freeze it for later.