This macaroni salad is a creamy, flavorful and colourful side dish which has spring onion, purple cabbage and carrot. To make it extra creamy; I use both mayonnaise and sour cream, I also add dijon mustard which gives an excellent flavour. This creamy macaroni salad with vegetables is my perfect summer side dish, and it tastes better than the one sold in stores.
Simple Macaroni Salad Recipe
This homemade macaroni salad recipe is classic and simple; it is quick and easy to make, and you can load it with all the vegetables you fancy. Once you try making this recipe, you won't stop making it again and again.
What's in the creamy dressing
This amazing extra creamy dressing has the following ingredients.
Mayonnaise. It gives the dressing the creamy taste.
Sour cream. Combining it with mayonnaise gives a better taste than only using mayonnaise.
Vinegar. It gives a nice tangy flavour. You can use any vinegar; for me, I prefer to use apple cider vinegar.
Dijon mustard. It gives a strong flavour with a bit of spice.
Olive oil. I use extra virgin olive oil.
Macaroni Salad Ingredients
Below are the ingredients you need to make this macaroni salad.
- Pasta (preferable small size)
- Green onion
- Sour cream
- Ground black pepper
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
Homemade Macaroni Salad Instructions
Cooking the macaroni. Put a pot filled halfway with water over a high flame and bring to boil. Then add the macaroni and a pinch of salt.
Cook the macaroni until soft then drain.
Preparing the vegetables. Peel the carrots then grate and slice both spring onions and cabbage finely.
Preparing the dressing. In a bowl add all the vegetables then add olive oil, sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper then mix well until combined.
Add the cooked macaroni to the previous mixture and stir.
Garnish with chopped parsley (optional) then serve.
What Else Can You Add To This Macaroni Salad
This is a classic and easy recipe to make macaroni salad, But with a little twist, you can make it a whole meal. Adding a shredded baked chicken breast to this recipe makes it so nutritious, you can also add mushroom or even boiled eggs. Furthermore, you can add celery, green olive or any other vegetables you fancy.
You can keep this macaroni salad in the fridge for three days; the taste even gets better on the second day.
Can I Freeze This Macaroni Salad?
I don't recommend freezing this salad; it is delicious when it is fresh. You can make the amount you usually consume.
Tips For The Best Macaroni Salad
1- Sour cream is so important in this recipe; it makes the mayonnaise lighter and gives an excellent flavour to the macaroni, don't substitute it with extra mayonnaise.
2- don't overcook the macaroni. Be careful!.
3- Sometimes I put a half teaspoon of dry basil to the spices which adds to the flavour. Try that if you like.
Serve this delicious salad with steak, chicken, or even fish. Here are some suggestions.
- Roasted Chicken With Herbs And Butter
- Baked Chicken Thighs With Honey And Garlic
- Honey Garlic Baked Salmon Recipe
- Butter Garlic Chicken Breast Recipe
- Steak With Garlic, Butter And Rosemary
More Dinner Recipes
- Easy Crispy Roasted Potatoes
- Swedish Meatballs In A Creamy Sauce
- Mediterranean Chicken And Vegetables For Dinner
Macaroni Salad With Vegetables
- Put a pot filled halfway with water over a high flame and bring to boil. Then add the macaroni and a pinch of salt.
- Cook the macaroni until soft then drain.
- Peel the carrots then grate and slice both spring onions and cabbage finely.
- In a bowl add all the vegetables then add olive oil, sour cream, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, dijon mustard, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper then mix well until combined.
- Add the cooked macaroni to the previous mixture and stir.
- Garnish with chopped parsley (optional) then serve.