Melon Ice Cream is an easy recipe made without an ice cream machine and with fresh cantaloupe; it is fruity, egg-free, and refreshing.
Melon Ice Cream
Today, I will show you the best way to utilize some fresh melon fruit you may have lying around in your home's kitchen. With just a few ingredients and basic kitchen equipment, we'll turn melon into a juicy puree.
The puree, whisked with some heavy cream, would then be frozen to become Melon Ice Cream. Doesn't it sound easy? Keep reading to decipher the details behind this easy recipe.
I used Cantaloupe because I love it, and the ones I usually buy from the supermarket are so sweet and ripe.
You'd be surprised with melon ice cream's sweet yet subtle flavour and the recipe calls only for 4 ingredients.
Why We Love This Recipe
- This is a good way to use any melon you have in the fridge.
- It is creamy, smooth, fresh and delicious.
- This is an easy ice cream recipe without an ice cream maker
- This no-churn recipe calls for only 4 ingredients.
- A delicious dessert that can be served any time of the day.
Melon Ice Cream Ingredients
- Heavy cream: I use it to add a rich flavor and creamy texture to the ice cream.
- Granulated sugar: To sweeten the ice cream.
- cantaloupe or Muskmelon: I used cantaloupe. Absolutely ripe, fresh from the supermarket.
- Lemon juice: I prefer it freshly squeezed.
“See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.”
Tips & Variations
- For a vegan version, swap out the heavy cream for some coconut cream, and you will have a vegan melon ice cream. Also, coconut cream will add a flavour of coconut that's so refreshing!
- Feel free to drop in fruit toppings of your choice, such as blueberries, bananas or cherries.
- Add in your favourite nuts to make this treat extra rich. I suggest cashews, raisins or pistachios.
- Add a few drops of vanilla essence of vanilla extract.
How To Prepare and Cut The Melon?
The very first thing we're going to do, is prepare the hero of your dish: the melon. You may be habitual of working with melons. But just in case you are not, keep reading to find out how.
Take the melon (which has a very thick skin), and slice it right down the centre. Now, you'll be exposed to a ton of seeds in both the semi-spheres of melon in front of you. Scoop out all the seeds in a bowl, and set them aside.
Tip: You can clean, dry and store melon seeds and enjoy them as a healthy snack. You can also include them in other recipes.
Now, slice these two semi-sphere shapes into wedges. Since melons have natural lines on them, if you follow the lines, you'll end up cutting perfect wedges.
Once the melons are sliced into wedges, it's much easier to chop them up into cubes or any other shape. Just take a knife, and strip the melon right off the peel. Chop this piece of melon up into smaller chunks. Repeat the same with every wedge of melon.
How To Make Melon Ice Cream?
Before starting, I suggest you get all the ingredients and line them up on the counter.
One: Take a mixing bowl, and whisk in heavy cream and sugar until stiff peak forms and the sugar dissolves completely. Set this mixture aside for later.
Two: In the food processor, add the cubed melon and lemon juice. Run the food processor until the melon chunks and lemon juice turn into a sweet puree.
Three: Now pour this melon puree into the bowl we had set aside earlier. Stir until the melon puree, and heavy cream mixture has combined well.
Four: This mixture can now be called "ice cream". Scoop the ice cream into a container that you can store in the fridge.
Five: Place the container in the freezer until it is as nice and hard as you would prefer it to be.
And there you go. Wasn't preparing this Melon Ice Cream recipe a piece of cake?
If you love fruits, relish this Melon ice cream with bananas or raw melon.
And, of course if you're an ice cream lover (which you probably are), scoop some on top of some good-old crunchy cones.
Make ahead of time: You can make this creamy mixture ahead of time and let it sit in the freezer. It'll stay fresh for up to one week. Alternatively, you can slice up the melon chunks and store them in a zip lock bag along with heavy cream and lemon juice in the fridge. That would do for some quick preparation whenever you'd like to serve.
Store: Since it is ice cream, I prefer to keep it in the freezer!
Freeze: Since this ice cream is made of fresh ingredients, it's best stored in the freezer for up to a 1 or 2 months.
Can I Use Watermelons?
All melons are made with varying consistencies of water. What I mean is that some melons are more watery than others. And watery melons may make ice cream that is more icy than creamy.
While this recipe may work fine with cantaloupes, it may not work well with watermelons. Honestly, I haven't tried it with watermelons, so I really can't say. If you do try this recipe with any other type of melon, be sure to leave a comment down below. I, as well as other readers, would love to know how it went!
Is This Recipe Suitable For Filling Popsicle Moulds?
Yes, of course! In fact, thanks for the wonderful idea. Why didn't I think of that? Once you've mixed all the ingredients together, you can pour them into some popsicle moulds with sticks.
Store the popsicle moulds in the freezer, and voila, relish some fun creamy popsicles. I'm sure kids would love this the most.
Which Milk Is Best For Ice Cream?
Whole milk is the best as it gives a rich and creamy flavour to the ice cream; however, you can also use skimmed or non-dairy milk in making ice cream.
More Ice Cream Recipes
- Best Homemade Red Velvet Ice Cream
- Honeycomb Ice Cream
- Chocolate Marshmallow Ice Cream
- Paletas de Tamarindo (Tamarind Popsicle)
- Red Bean Ice Cream
- Black Raspberry Ice Cream - No Churn Recipe
- Old Fashioned Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
- Homemade Red Velvet Ice Cream
Easy Melon Ice Cream Recipe
- 300 g heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 600 g cantaloupe , very ripe, chopped into small chunks
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- In a mixing bowl, whisk heavy cream and sugar until stiff peak forms and the sugar is dissolved.300 g heavy cream, 1 cup sugar
- In the food processor, add the cubed melon and lemon juice, and beat until puree and smooth.600 g cantaloupe, 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Now, stir the melon puree into the heavy cream mixture until combined.
- Scoop the ice cream into a container and put int the freezer until it is hard to your liking.
- For a vegan version, swap out the heavy cream for some coconut cream, and you will have a vegan ice cream.
- Whole milk is the best as it gives a rich and creamy flavour to the ice cream; however, you can also use skimmed or non-dairy milk in making this recipe.