Simple Oven Baked Chicken Thighs with bone-in marinated in olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, paprika and rosemary and baked to perfection, crispy from the outside and juicy from the inside! I assure you all your family will enjoy them.
- Oven Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
- How to Make Oven Baked Chicken Thighs (Bone In)
- How Can I Tell When The Chicken Is Done?
- For How Long Should I Bake Chicken Thighs?
- Top Tips!
- Substitutes & Variations
- Serving Suggestions
- How To Store
- Recipe FAQs
- More Bone In Chicken Thigh Recipes
- Easy chicken recipes
- Recipe Card
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs Recipe
Personally, I prefer chicken thighs over other chicken cuts because they have a more robust chicken flavor, are tender and moist and easy to cook with.
The seasonings I used are so simple, yet they ensure an excellent seasoned dish. I used smoked paprika, rosemary, salt and black pepper, along with the lemon zest; if you like to add more citrusy flavor add lemon juice as well.
All the ingredients I used in making this dish are simple, available anywhere and aren't costly. And the dish itself is easy and quick to prepare and perfect for lunch or dinner.
My suggestion for achieving perfectly crispy chicken thighs is to coat them in the marinade thoroughly; it contributes to giving the chicken the crispness we seek.
Bone In Chicken Thighs: I used bone in, skin on chicken thighs. You may use any other cuts of chicken you prefer: breasts, drumsticks or wings. However, you will need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
Garlic: Preferably minced, I use it as a flavoring agent.
Olive Oil: I recommend using a good quality olive oil.
Lemon Zest: What is a better ingredient to season and make something juicier other than lemon zest? Note that chicken thigh is dark meat, and lemon helps balance the more robust flavor of the dark meat in thighs and the fat from the chicken. They did so good in my recipe Lemon Rosemary Chicken.
Seasonings: There are many seasonings for bone in baked chicken thighs, but I always like to stick with the classic combinations of paprika, salt, black pepper, and fresh rosemary. You may also use my Mediterranean seasoning mix recipe to season the chicken thighs.
“See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.”
How to Make Oven Baked Chicken Thighs (Bone In)
Preparations: Preheat the oven to 220C / 428F and line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and top it with an oven-safe wire rack.
One: In a large mixing bowl, mix olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper, chopped rosemary, lemon zest and garlic.
Two: Wash the chicken and pat them dry using a paper towel. Toss the chicken in the olive oil mixture (make sure all the chicken are evenly coated).
Pro Tip: Patting the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel before mixing them into the olive oil mixture will make it crispier later when already baked.
Three: Transfer the chicken thighs into the rack leave space between the thighs.
Pro Tip: I recommend using a rimmed baking sheet for the rack so that the juice of the baked chicken won't make a mess.
Four: Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Garnish with some chopped parsley (optional) and serve warm.
How Can I Tell When The Chicken Is Done?
It is important to use a meat thermometer; in this case, you need to check the internal temperature of the chicken before taking it out of the oven. The internal temperature should be at least 165F, according to foodsafety.gov.
For How Long Should I Bake Chicken Thighs?
I have noticed that the exact cooking time is so much depending on the size of the thighs; I used medium size, which takes about 40 minutes at 220C / 428F.
However, If you cook them at 200C / 400F, it will take 45-50 minutes, and if you cook them at a lower temperature, like 190C / 375F, it will take about 55 to 60 minutes.
- While baking, avoid unnecessary rearrangement of the chicken to prevent getting deformed and messy to look.
- You may cook these chicken things in the air fryer at 400 F / 200 C for 20 minutes or so, and remember to check the internal temperature of the chicken to make sure it is done. The internal temperature should be 165F.
Substitutes & Variations
- Add a pinch of chili powder or red pepper flakes if you like your chicken a bit spicy.
- Make this recipe a bit sweeter and buttery by adding honey or maple syrup and butter to the mixture of olive oil, like in my recipe Maple Chicken Thighs.
Personally, I like to serve baked chicken thighs with Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes; the rich, buttery flavor and creamy texture of this dish complement the crispy and juicy texture of chicken thighs. That's why they would seem like a perfect combo meal to me.
How To Store
Let the chicken thighs cool completely, and store them in an airtight container or freezer bag in the fridge. They will last for 4-5 days.
To freeze: Store them for longer in the freezer; they will last for 4-6 months in a well-sealed container.
Reheating Instructions: You can reheat these Oven Baked Chicken Thighs (Bone In) In the microwave for 30-60 seconds. In the oven for 10-15 minutes at 170C / 338F. Or in the air fryer for 5 minutes at 350F.
Perhaps you haven't pat the chicken dry before seasoning it; that is why the outcome is not crispy.
It is okay if the chicken thighs aren't bone in nor skin on; however, the outcome wouldn't be as juicy and crispy. Also, remember that the baking time for the boneless chicken thighs is less than the chicken thigh with bone in.
More Bone In Chicken Thigh Recipes
Easy chicken recipes
Thank you for checking out my recipe! Follow Healthy Life Trainer on Pinterest and Instagram to keep up-to-date with all new recipes. Also, you can subscribe to my Newsletter to recipe all the latest recipes once published.
Oven Baked Chicken Thighs (Bone-In)
- Preheat the oven to 220 C / 428 F and line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and top it with an oven-safe wire rack.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper, chopped rosemary, lemon zest and garlic.¼ cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon lemon zest, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, ¾ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 sprig rosemary, 5 cloves garlic
- Wash the chicken and pat them dry using a paper towel. Toss the chicken in the olive oil mixture (make sure all the chicken are evenly coated).6 chicken thighs
- Transfer the chicken thighs into the rack leave space between the thighs.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Garnish with some chopped parsley (optional) and serve warm.
- Patting the chicken thighs dry with a paper towel before mixing them into the olive oil mixture will make it crispier later when already baked.
- It is best to use a rimmed baking sheet for the rack so that the juice of the baked chicken won't make a mess.
- You may use any other cuts of chicken you prefer: breasts, drumsticks or wings. However, you will need to adjust the cooking time accordingly.