Spaghetti bolognese is a delicious Italian dish in which spaghetti is cooked in a rich homemade bolognese sauce that is bursting with the Italian seasonings. It is a super easy dinner recipe that can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
In my opinion, the secret to the wonderful taste of this spaghetti bolognese is cooking with fresh aromatics, such as garlic, onion, and Italian herbs, which can really boost the flavour of this recipe.
What's in this Spaghetti Bolognese?
Onion, finely chopped
Beef or chicken broth/stock
Chopped tomato in tomato sauce
Ground black pepper
How to make this spaghetti bolognese ?
Cooking the beef: Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Then add garlic and onion. Cook for 2 minutes until the onion becomes translucent. Add the beef and break it down, cook until it becomes brown.
Making the bolognese sauce: Add the tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, salt, ground black pepper, chilli flakes, and Italian herbs over the beef. Stir them all together and bring everything to a boil.
Adding the pasta: Add the uncooked spaghetti and cook for about 15 minutes (stirring every minute or so). Once the pasta is fully cooked turn off the heat. If desired, top it with parmesan cheese.
You are now ready to serve.
- You can use any kind of pasta for this recipe other than spaghetti, such as elbow or Fettuccine. Note that thicker pasta will take more time to cook.
- Use a good quality tomato sauce.
- Once you have added the spaghetti to the sauce, you must stir every minute or so or the pasta will stick together and will not cook properly.
What if I don't have Italian herbs?
Italian herbs seasoning are important in this recipe because they give it a lovely taste. However, you can replace it with any of the following: thyme, rosemary, or oregano.
Can I freeze this spaghetti bolognese?
Yes, you can freeze and reheat it in the microwave.
More One-Pot Recipes
Easy One-Pot Spaghetti Bolognese
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 5 cups beef or chicken broth/stock
- 400 gram spaghetti , uncooked
- 600 gram minced beef
- 750 gram chopped tomato in tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon Italian herbs
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon parmesan (topping)
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Then add garlic and onion. Cook for 2 minutes until the onion becomes translucent. Add the beef and break it down, cook until it becomes brown.
- Add the uncooked spaghetti and cook for about 15 minutes (stirring every minute or so). Once the pasta is fully cooked turn off the heat. If desired, top it with parmesan cheese.
- You are now ready to serve.