This chicken Bolognese recipe is a budget freindly twist to the classic Bolognese by using chicken instead of beef. It is light, simple and freezer-friendly! My go-to recipe for busy weeknight dinners.
Chicken Bolognese Recipe
When I tried this chicken bolognese recipe, I knew that I should share it with you all. Here is why:
Texture: The texture of this Chicken Bolognese is saucy and meaty, and the taste is superb as well.
Flavor: I always serve this dish on top of spaghetti, so each swirl of the pasta contains the richness of the flavour from onion, carrot, celery and all the ingredients combined.
Easy: I made this dish in just 30 minutes using only one pot. So simple and easy to make.
Light: I also consider this dish a lighter version of the classic Bolognese since chicken is the meat used here instead of beef.
My Verdict: This Chicken Bolognese is a simple dish that is easy to prepare. The preparation time is short, and there is not much effort required to make this dish. Thus, it is a perfect dish for a family dinner.
What's in This Chicken Bolognese Recipe?
Chicken Thighs. I prefer to use chicken thighs as they give a juicier flavor to my dish.
Olive Oil. You can use any cooking oil you have on hand. I used olive oil; you can also use vegetable oil or avocado oil if that's what you have.
Celery. Be careful not to overcook it to enjoy a bit of the crunchiness it offers.
Carrot. I like to add carrot to this recipe for a bit of crunch and mild sweetness.
Onion. I love the onion flavor when sauteing with chicken!
Garlic. Sauteing garlic with the rest of the ingredients gives the recipe a depth of flavor.
Tomato Sauce. I highly recommend using good quality tomato sauce for this dish.
Tomato Paste. The tomato paste will help tomato sauce in thickening the texture of the sauce for your chicken.
Dried Basil. Dried basil is the best aromatic and spice I like to add to my chicken sauce.
Parmesan Cheese. A cheesy Bolognese will only be best possible with the easy-melting parmesan cheese.
Spaghetti. I like to serve my chicken bolognese on top of spaghetti.
“See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.”
Variations & Substitutions
- You may use Grana Padano in place of parmesan cheese if unavailable since both have the same texture and are almost similar in taste.
- Add more vegetables or fresh herbs.
- You can use chicken breast or minced chicken instead of chicken thigh.
How To Make Chicken Bolognese?
One: Cook the pasta according to package instructions if you will serve this recipe with pasta.
Two: Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides.
Three: Heat oil in a large pan medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken, sear until golden brown, then remove from the pan, put in a plate, cut into small pieces and set aside.
Four: Add celery, onion, carrots and garlic to the pan, saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until softened.
Five: Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, sugar and basil.
Six: Bring to a boil, add the chicken back to the pot, then reduce the heat to simmer, cook for 20-25 minutes, then turn off the heat.
Seven: Now, put your pasta on a serving plate and top it with your chicken. Garnish with parmesan and chopped parsley, then serve.
How To Store And Reheat
Any leftovers should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
To reheat, simply throw the ingredients in a pot with a splash of water and cook over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, or until the mixture is scalding hot throughout.
Can I Use Leftover Roast Chicken?
Definitely! Basically, simmer the Bolognese sauce according to the instruction in this recipe, shred the cooked chicken, and add it to the sauce approximately 10 minutes before it's ready. Easy, right?
Can I Use Minced Chicken?
Of course you can! However, making this dish with minced chicken can go 5- minutes quicker because minced chicken takes less time to cook.
More Chicken Recipes
- Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Salad
- Baked Chicken Thighs
- Garlic Butter Chicken Bites
- Chicken Pasanda
- Chicken And Potato Casserole
- Chicken Puffs.
Easy Chicken Bolognese Recipe
- 500 g chicken thighs , boneless, skinless
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup celery , diced
- 1 cup carrot , diced
- ½ cup onion , diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 750 g tomatoes sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese , to garnish
- 1 teaspoon parsley , to garnish
- 250 g Spaghetti , to serve
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions if you will serve this recipe with pasta.250 g Spaghetti
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper on both sides.500 g chicken thighs, ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Heat oil in a large pan medium heat. Once hot, add the chicken, sear until golden brown, then remove from the pan, put in a plate, cut into small pieces and set aside.2 tablespoon olive oil, 500 g chicken thighs
- Add celery, onion, carrots and garlic to the pan, saute over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until softened.1 cup celery, 1 cup carrot, 2 cloves garlic, ½ cup onion
- Stir in tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, sugar and basil.750 g tomatoes sauce, 1 tablespoon tomato paste, ¼ cup water, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Bring to a boil, add the chicken back to the pot, then reduce the heat to simmer, cook for 20-25 minutes, then turn off the heat.
- Now, put your pasta on a serving plate and top it with your chicken.
- Garnish with parmesan and chopped parsley, then serve.1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, 1 teaspoon parsley