Chicken Puffs are a crispy and flaky Indian appetizer that is made of delightful seasoned chicken enclosed in buttery, flaky puff pastry.
To be honest, I don't like making puff pastry at home; the process is worthless for me; it takes so much time and effort. So, to make these puffs in just 20 minutes, I use a pre-made puff pastry from the store.
These Chicken puffs are well seasoned and filled with a variety of flavors. The chicken in this recipe is tasteful and juicy. It is an ideal dish to serve at parties or when you need a light meal.
I enjoy these puffs as a snack, lunch or a light dinner with family or friends. I also serve them at parties or special occasions.
In my opinion: These Chicken puffs are super simple, easy, delicious and take about 20 minutes to prepare, and the process is effortless.
Why We Love This Recipe
- It is an incredibly tasty snack.
- This is simple to make.
- Perfect for picnics and to pack in lunch boxes.
- Easy to serve.
- Children love them.
What Are Chicken Puffs Made Of?
Puff Pastry Sheet. I used a store-bought puff pastry. It creates a light and flaky base for this dish. It also gives a crispy texture.
Chicken Breast. I used boneless and skinless chicken breast. You may use chicken thighs if that's what you have on hand.
Onion. I like to add onion because it enhances the taste of the filling.
Olive Oil. I used it in cooking the fillings. You can use avocado oil or vegetable oil.
Curry Powder. It adds color and flavor to your dish.
Chili Powder. I only add a tiny amount to give a hint of spice to the chicken.
Nigella seeds (optional): To garnish with. I like their color and flavor.
“See the recipe card for full information on ingredients and quantities.”
How To Make Chicken Puffs?
One (Make the Filling): Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add onion and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until softened.
Two: Add chicken, curry Powder, chili Powder, and salt, and keep cooking for another 2 minutes, then simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes, then let it cool.
Pro Tip: Ensure that your filling is flavorful. Taste the filling and adjust the seasonings to your liking.
Three (Make the Puffs): Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
Four: Cut the cold Puff Pastry Sheet into squares, add about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of half of the squares, and then cover them with the other halves.
Pro Tip: Don't overfill the puffs to make it easier to close them.
Five: With a fork, press on the squares on all sides to seal them.
Six: Repeat making chicken puffs. Sprinkle with some nigella seeds, then transfer to the baking tray.
Pro Tip: If your baking tray isn't large enough you can bake these puffs in batches.
Seven: Bake for 10-12 minutes, then remove from the oven.
Variations & Substitutions
- While making the chicken filling, you can add mushrooms. You may also consider adding hard-boiled eggs after cooking onions to achieve a different taste.
- Other spices that you could add to the filling include ground turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander, and fennel powder.
- You can sprinkle your pastry with sesame instead of nigella seeds.
- Add your favorite cheese to the fillings.
- You may also add vegetables to your chicken filling such as potatoes, carrots, and green peas.
Serve your favorite beverage to enjoy with this snack. Personally, I like to serve them with White Chocolate Latte in my snack time.
These puffs can either be served hot or cold, you get to choose.
To store: I store these savory snacks in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To reheat: Microwave them for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Freeze: I usually freeze these puffs while they are uncooked for a month in a Ziploc bag.
More Chicken Recipes
Indian Chicken Puffs
- 1 Puff Pastry sheet
- 2 Cups Boneless Chicken Breast , Chopped into cubes
- 1 Large Onion , Chopped
- 2 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Nigella seeds (optional)
- Make the Filling: Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, add onion and saute for 1-2 minutes or until softened.2 tablespoon Olive Oil, 1 Large Onion
- Add chicken, curry Powder, chili Powder and salt, and keep cooking for another 2 minutes, then simmer on low heat for 4-5 minutes, then let it cool.2 Cups Boneless Chicken Breast, 1 tablespoon Curry Powder, ½ teaspoon Chili Powder, ½ teaspoon Salt
- Make the puffs: Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F. and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Cut the cold Puff Pastry Sheet into squares, add about 2 tablespoons of the filling in the center of half of the squares and then cover them with the other halves.1 Puff Pastry sheet
- With a fork, press on the squares on all sides to seal them. Repeat making chicken puffs.
- Sprinkle nigella seeds on top, then transfer to a baking tray.1 teaspoon Nigella seeds
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Ensure that your fillings are flavorful. The taste of your chicken puffs will largely be determined by the seasoning in the stuffings.
- Line your baking tray with parchment paper to prevent your pastry from sticking to the baking tray and to allow it to bake evenly.
- If your baking tray isn't large enough you can bake these puffs in batches.
- Don't overfill the puffs to make it easier to close them.